Tuesday, December 27, 2011

More Beach

Tuesday, Dec 27
This morning we decided to hit Kua Bay early, while it was still possible to get a parking spot. The parking lot opens at 9am, and when we arrived at 9:20, we got the last spot before people had to park on the road. The waves weren't as big as yesterday, but still enough for Rob to use the rental boogie board. I also discovered some good snorkeling on the edges of the bay, so I looked at fish while Rob rode waves.
After a few hours we came back to the hotel, changed into dry clothes and went in search of local food at a place called Da Poke Shack. Poke (pokay? pokee?) is essentially Hawaiian sushi. Cubed pieces of raw yellow fin tuna with various oils and spices. Rob got the shack special poke with sides of spicy crab salad and brown rice. I got lau lau, a Hawaiin dish of pork and fish wrapped in some sort of leaf, with a side of salmon ceviche. We then got more special poke and crab salad to go.
Back at the hotel, I prepared to spend happy hour by the pool, but found that the lobby lounge chairs facing the ocean were more comfortable and just as close to the tiki bar. Just as well, as someone broke some glass in the pool, causing it to be closed for several hours. Rob went exploring the touristy part of Kona.
We then went shopping for jeans at Macy's and my special waterproof sunblock. Macy's was a bust, the saleswoman checked stock, and none of the Hawaiian stores carry my jeans. She explained that jeans don't sell well here due to the heat. Then we looked at Kmart, Walmart, Safeway and Target for my sunblock. The stuff is called Bullfrog, and it lasts all day, and doesn't wash off. That's good for my clear redheaded skin, and for the reefs I snorkel at. It's the best stuff I have ever used. It's not sold in Canada, and I didn't bring enough to last both Rob and I for a 10 day vacation. Target carried it, but is sold out. The other places don't carry it. There's a local pharmacy that had it, but they were really expensive. So we searched the GPS for a Walgreens or CVS. No Walgreens on the big island, but 2 CVS listed. The first one turned out to be the previously mentioned local store. So we tried the next "CVS" 5 miles away. Another branch of the same local drug store, who was also out of stock of my sunscreen. With all the gas used driving around, I think it would have made more sense to just buy it at the expensive drug store.
Tomorrow the plan is to check out another snorkel spot and more doing nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment