The Metro on the way back stopped at Gostiny Dvor, the ancient "mall" which is actually a department store. We went up to check out the second floor this time. Meh, nothing special. I then went back to where I saw the bracelet the other day, and it was sold! Boo. I did get a couple of pendants. A lady bug made out of green Amber for myself, and a miniature Faberge egg, which opens and holds a little dog inside, for UG's mother. I also picked up a bottle of Beluga vodka to take home. Oh, and I bought a few individual candies from a bulk seller, to figure out what I liked, so I can buy a bag of something good to take home. Apparently I'm the first to buy 1 candy, it amused the salesgirl to have a total so low.
We then went for dinner a couple of blocks away to a place that's rated #1 in St Petersburg by Trip Advisor, Cafe Zoom. It was okay, but nothing special. We messed them up by 1) UG ordered a soup which takes 20 minutes to prepare, and 2) I ordered a salad, but wanted it with my main (as side dishes are to be ordered separately here, and the Greek salad was more appealing than any of the side options). Somehow the 20 minute soup came in 10 minutes, at the same time as my food. Then his main came 40 minutes later. We actually asked twice if it was coming, or if it had been forgotten. None of the food so far has been spectacular. So we're starting to think that rave reviews are more based on service. But even the service wasn't great here. Oh, well.
We decided to go for dessert at a fancy coffee shop on the way back to the hotel. But they didn't have any tables, and their desert selection was well picked over. So we skipped desert. We then stopped into a grocery store for some water and more vodka to take home. Unfortunately, they were out of the stuff we were looking for.
A group dressed in "North American Native" costumes, playing music. They didn't speak English, so I couldn't ask where they were from.
Wednesday:
It was cold and rainy this morning. So we headed for another mall further out of downtown to go to the St Petersburg Oceanarium. I can watch fish for hours. They have a variety of small sharks, some rays, eels, seahorses and lots of other fish. The main tank has a tunnel through it so you can see the fish all around you. They also have a seal tank. So that was fun for an hour and a half. UG has been wearing his dress shoes as his toe is hurting and he's finding his sneakers too tight. But due to the rain this morning, he's discovered a crack in the sole of his dress shoes. (I'm not going to mention how unfair it is that he can own dress shoes that are comfortable enough to wear around all day. Oops, I guess I just did.) So we looked around the mall for a shoe store for him, but this mall didn't have a shoe store. They did, however, have *2* places to buy hand guns. They also had a dinosaur park and a haunted house in addition to the aquarium. So, while taking your kids for a fun day of activities, pick up a new gun! There was also a grocery store, and UG finally managed to find some deodorant! We also picked up more vodka at the best price so far for Russian Standard Platinum, 560 rub for 500ml, and some take-home candy.
On the way back to the hotel, we stopped in at Veliseev's Food Hall, where I picked up a vanilla eclair and a caramel macaroon. We then took a different route, along the Mosta River, back to the hotel. Suddenly a parade of military vehicles, including rocket launchers came rolling along the road, around the corner in front of us and past the Spilled Blood Church. And then a woman on a horse started chasing them. Apparently this is just Wednesday in St Petersburg?
After a break at the hotel for UG to ice his toe, we went for dinner at an Italian place nearby. We had a pizza with some kind of fatty meat and black olives. I skipped dessert and instead ate the treats I'd purchased earlier.
No comments:
Post a Comment