We then got on the road and started making our way to the safari parks. The first couple of hours were spent on a 4 lane highway which looked a lot like driving from Calgary to Edmonton - flat farm land. We passed a shanty town near the side of the highway and realized that Soweto (the townships we biked through) is the version sold to tourists. We weren't able to get the cameras out in time, though, considering the speed limit is about 120km/h.
Once getting off the main highway, the road was much more hilly, windy and scenic. More reminiscent of BC, as the area is the world's largest man-made forest, all pine. We stopped at a viewpoint and found a man carving wooden animals. I was about to walk away without purchasing anything, so he dropped the price to 2 pieces for 100Rand, from 120Rand for one piece. Fortunately, they are a very lightweight wood. We then got back in the car and drove to the next viewpoint, where there was an entire craft market set up. I was adamant this time that I was not going to buy anything, so I was offered the same piece I had just bought for 20Rand. Apparently my bargaining skills are rusty. But at least I know what they are worth now in case I see more I like.
We then arrived in Graskop, a tiny town convenient to getting to our first safari tomorrow, along the "Panorama Route" overlooking the Blyde Canyon. When I booked 3 months ago, there were limited options available, so I took what I could get, and it's a major step down from the resort in J'burg. It would be a cute little cabin if it was on a lake in Ontario. But right now, it's a little too rustic. Oh well, we have to save money somewhere, right? At least we'll only be here one night.
Meanwhile, there are bars on the windows, 3 locks on the door, and a sign warning people not to leave stuff in the car and not to put their purse near a window.
We went for dinner at a local place called "Harrie's Pancakes". Apparently it's a regional thing to eat pancakes with savory stuffing for dinner. I had one stuffed with venison and sweet potato, and UG had lamb. Both were good choices. This place opens at 8am for breakfast, but they don't serve pancakes until lunch time!
It's been dark since 6pm. Now, at 7:30, UG and I are wondering what we're doing up so late.
No comments:
Post a Comment