Thursday, April 21, 2011

Saint Lucia

We got up early this morning and hit the road. We were stopped by 2 roadblocks before getting to the border. One was in the same location as yesterday, the other just before the border to South Africa. Both times, UG was asked to show his driver's license. We provided his international driving permit along with his Alberta license. It wasn't asked for, but they were appreciative. I'm glad we had it rather than deal with the repercussions of not having it. Once they were satisfied we weren't doing anything illegal, we were sent on our way.
Crossing the border was even more chaotic than before. This border crossing was signifigantly more busy, with roads going in every which direction. SA has the number of lines condensed to one. Both for people arriving and for people leaving the country. The wait was about 45 minutes to get stamped back in by immigration. Then a quick stamp without a single question about our cameras, etc.
We're now in Saint Lucia. It has the feel of a Florida beach vacation town, with a short main street filled with motels, surf shops and tour agents. I took a drive around town while UG was resting in our room, looking for information about snorkelling. I also went looking for the ocean, which is just outside of town. I got as far as where the river meets the ocean, and the road ended at a campground which is not on the map. While turning around, I saw a hippo walking along the far side of the river. I parked the car, got out and watched, and there were 4 of them out of the water! This was my first sighting of a full hippo. Up to now, they've all been partially submerged in a pond or river. I left them after a few minutes, as I figured I had left UG alone for too long.
After a swim in the pool and dinner, we drove the other way to the beach. There were a few other people there, wearing bathing suits and wrapped up in towels. But the waves were huge, so we didn't get too close to the water. It was also late in the day, so the other people were leaving.


No comments:

Post a Comment