I've got about an hour before I leave for the airport. I've never been so sad to go home. The weather has been great, even the 38C days. I don't think I successfully portrayed how awful business travel can be, because this has been a particularly good trip. I've been very popular here, it's been good for my ego.
Saturday I woke up in Dubai and wandered around the souks. I bought some spices and a piece of fabric. Most other stuff was just too expensive, and I couldn't bargain them down. I took a boat across the creek for 1AED (about 30c). The driver was very helpful, making all the men move to make room for me, but he was disappointed when I didn't take him up on his offer for a private tour.
I then took the bus back to AD. It turns out AT was wrong about where the bus station was, and the 20AED bus wasn't as nice as the 15AED one. It's a lot smaller, with seats to match. This one had clearly marked seats for women. I had to share a seat with the only other woman on the bus.
I was thinking perhaps I'd have to give AT a new title, since his advice wasn't spot on. But he earned it again on Sunday when I was denied entry to the compound to go to one of the warehouses. I have been there every day for a month, but on my second last day, they deny me entry? AT arrived, yelled at them (or so it seemed to my English ears) for a few minutes, and they turned to me and said "Welcome!"
So, back to Calgary, and a few feet of snow.
No comments:
Post a Comment